Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Berry Banana Oat Bars


Fun fact about me: I have a very high heat tolerance. So in the summer I generally don’t turn my air on because I’m completely comfortable in an 82-degree apartment. Seriously.

Unfortunately, the bananas I buy do not feel the same way. I’ve noticed they become overripe significantly faster in the hotter environment.

So I have to get creative with using up my overripe bananas so they don’t go to waste!

As you may recall, I’ve posted recipes on my blog before that use up mushy bananas.

Have you seen my Three-Ingredient Banana Pancake recipe? No flour – just banana and egg.

And my favorite Two-Ingredient Cookies are just banana and oats.

Well these Berry Banana Oat Bars incorporate the same concept – just bananas, oats, a little honey, and spices.

Top the bars with fresh or frozen berries and they become sweet enough to be dessert, but they’re also wholesome enough to be breakfast.

In fact, I’ve eaten these for breakfast the past two weeks.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I suggest storing these bars in the refrigerator because if you leave them on the counter in an 82-degree apartment they will start to mold.

Berry Banana Oat Bars
Yield: Makes about 16 bars

Ingredients
For berry topping
  • 2 cups blueberries, finely minced strawberries, or other berry assortment (You can use frozen, but you must thaw first)
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
For banana oat bars
  • 2 cups uncooked quick oats (use certified gluten-free if necessary)
  • 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
 Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Combine berries with 1 tablespoon honey and lemon juice. Toss with a spoon until well combined. Set mixture aside.
  3. Combine quick oats with mashed banana, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and honey in medium-sized bowl. Mix until well-combined.
  4. Line an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
  5. Add the banana-oat mixture to the dish and press down so it’s compact and forms a crust.
  6. Add the berry mixture on top of the banana-oat mixture and spread so it’s in a single layer.
  7. Bake the bars for 30 minutes.
  8. Remove and cool before cutting them into bars.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover