There are some things in life that are just meant to go together: peanut butter and jelly, chips and dip, bacon and eggs, and Mother’s Day and brunch.
So with Mother’s Day right around the corner, I wanted to post a recipe that would make a great treat for all the moms out there on their special day.
Everyone knows that no brunch is complete without French Toast. But who wants to stand at the stove making it piece by piece – especially if you’re serving a large group of people. So I found a recipe that solves this problem – French Toast Muffins!
Just to clarify, these are not muffins that taste like French Toast; essentially they’re French Toast but in muffin form.
I top the muffins with cinnamon streusel and bake them in a muffin pan. Add a little powdered sugar and some syrup and serve it with this Crispy Oven-Fried Bacon!
CINNAMON STREUSEL FRENCH TOAST MUFFINS
For the muffins
· 1 loaf of bread
· 6 large eggs
· 2 (1/2) cups milk
· 1/2 cup granulated sugar
· 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
· 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
For the cinnamon streusel
· 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
· 1/4 cup brown sugar
· 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Cut up the bread into 1/2 inch cubes and place in large bowl/
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs.
3. Stir in the milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
4. Dump the medium bowl of wet ingredients into the large bowl of cut up bread.
5. Mix the bread and the wet ingredients together
6. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin
7. Divide the bread mixture evenly into each muffin cup
8. Cover the muffins with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours or up to overnight
9. When you’re ready to bake the muffins, preheat the oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit
10. To make the cinnamon streusel, combine the butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt.
11. Mix together with your hands, until you have a crumbly mixture.
12. Remove the muffins from the refrigerator and sprinkle the muffins evenly with the streusel topping.
13. Bake the muffins for 25 minutes
14. Let the muffins cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar and syrup, if desired.
The bread cut up into half inch cubes
Close up of the bread
The eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon mixture
The wet ingredients mixed with the bread
Close up of the mixture
The bread mixture divided into the muffin cups
Cinnamon streusel topping
Uncooked French Toast Muffins with cinnamon streusel topping
The finished product
Pair the French Toast Muffins with coffee and bacon
Mmmm fluffy French Toast Muffins
This recipe is adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod