Wednesday, August 13, 2014

HOW TO MAKE PERFECT FILET MIGNON


Today, I’m sharing my secret for making anyone believe you’re a gourmet chef – How To Make Perfect Filet Mignon! This is probably the most important recipe I will ever post, and it is crucial for every cook’s repertoire.

Trying to impress a boy? Make him a filet!

In-laws show up unannounced? Make them a filet!

Feeling a little depressed because your favorite TV show character was just killed off? Make yourself a filet!

There is not a single occasion in which filet mignon would ever be turned down!

I first made filet mignon two years ago. I was initially hesitant to try it because I thought if I screwed it up, it would be a waste of money. But it was Valentine’s Day so I thought “what the heck!”

When I got home I Googled “perfect filet mignon” and there it was – everything I needed to know. Funny how that whole Google thing works. So I followed these directions diligently. It seemed way too easy though, and I was rather nervous that I wasn’t cooking it correctly.

But I had nothing to worry about because it was PERFECT. And it really is that easy.

The filet had a peppery brown crust and a pink center that cut through like butter. And if you know how to set a timer you can make a perfect filet too!

Rarely do I ever get a “Wow” from Kyle when I serve him, but that was his response to the filet. And to this day, it is still his favorite dish.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When some people see “filet mignon” they automatically think it’s way too expensive. But I want you to know that is not necessarily the case.

If you order filet mignon at a restaurant, you could be out 30 or 40 bucks. BUT it’s a lot different when you cook it at home. I’ve purchased the meat at a butcher, a specialty organic store, and a supermarket, and I personally think they all taste about the same, and generally supermarkets tend to be the cheapest. So that’s where I buy my filets.

The meat typically runs about $19.99 per pound, and one filet steak is about 1/4 pound. So if you do the mat, that’s only about $5 per filet. Also, I’ve found that if you buy your meat later in the day the store may give you a discount because they’re trying to get rid of it.


HOW TO MAKE PERFECT FILET MIGNON
Yield: 1 (4 ounce) filet
Calories: 335 calories for 4 ounces and sautéing butter
Printable Recipe

INGREDIENTS
·       1 (4 ounce) filet
·       4 teaspoons salt
·       4 teaspoons finely ground pepper
·       3 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS
1.     Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
2.     Generously season your filet with salt and pepper, about 2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons pepper per side.
3.     Heat the butter in a cast iron skillet on very high heat (about an 8).
4.     Place the filet in the pan, and let it sear for two minutes on each side.
5.     And this is the most important part – While the filet is searing, spoon the residual butter that’s in the pan on top of the meat. The hot butter will keep the meat moist as well as further along the cooking process.
6.     Once both sides are seared, place the pan in the center of the oven and cook for about 8-10 minutes (depending on how thick your steak is). I cook my steak for 8 minutes to a perfect “medium” doneness.
7.     When the filet is done cooking, remove the skillet from the oven and let the meat rest for a few minutes before serving.

Start with a beautiful piece of meat and season generously with salt and pepper

Melt your butter in the skillet on very high heat!

Place your filet in the skillet to being the pan-searing process

Continuously spoon the melted butter at the bottom of the pan on top of the filet as it's searing

Place in the oven and cook for 8 minutes

And there you have it, the most perfect piece of meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover