Thursday, January 29, 2015

Surprisingly Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip


As I'm sure you already know, the Super Bowl is this Sunday. And since the Colts aren't in it, the only thing I'm concerned about is the food. And one of my favorite party snacks is chips and dip. 

The only problem with this snack is that it's so easy to rack up hundreds and hundreds of calories. I have this problem where I always put way too many chips on my plate and not enough dip, and so then I have to get more dip to balance out the chips, and the next thing I know I've had about 50 chips and enough dip to feed a small village.

But the thing is I don't plan on changing my "chipping and dipping" habits anytime soon. So instead I decided to create a healthy dip recipe. I used reduced fat cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and reduced fat blue cheese to make this buffalo chicken dip surprisingly skinny. 1/3 cup of this dip will only cost you about 100 calories. I found a Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe on Taste of Home, and for the same serving size you'll rack up 800 calories. That's a huge difference!

Another great part about this dip is that it all comes together in a saucepan on the stove - you don't even have to bake it! And you can make the "dipping experience" even healthier by eating it with celery!

What's your favorite Super Bowl party snack?

Surprisingly Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip
Yield: Makes about 3 1/2 cups
Calories per serving: 105 calories per 1/3 cup serving

Ingredients
  • 4 ounces 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese
  • 1 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup hot sauce
  • 1/4 cup reduced fat crumbled blue cheese
  • 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (or about 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)

Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients except chicken in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Constantly stir ingredients until cheeses are completely melted – about 15 minutes. 
  2. Fold in shredded chicken.
  3. Serve dip warm with celery and tortilla chips.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover