Slow Cooker Lasagna
Yield: Serves about 8 people
- 1/2 pound sausage
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 ounces fat free cottage cheese, small curd
- 1 1/2 cups fat free mozzarella cheese
- 6 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon until it is no longer pink, or about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- While sauce is cooking, stir together cottage cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese in a medium bowl.
- Spray a 5-quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon 1/3 of the saugae sauce mixture into the slow cooker.
- Break 3 lasagna sheets in half and arrange over beef mixture; top with half of cheese mixture.
- Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining 1/3 of sausage mixture.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for about 4 hours.
- Remove cover and turn off heat.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese over beef mixture. Cover the slow cooker and set aside until the cheese melts, or about 10 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Weight Watchers.