Saturday, April 4, 2015

Coconut Macaroon Easter Egg Nests


Easter has always been my favorite holiday. I love the pastel colors. I love the candy and chocolates. I love the warmer weather of spring. I love witnessing the earth come alive again after being dead all winter. And most importantly, I love the real reason that we celebrate – Jesus. 

Jesus paid the ultimate price for each and every one of us. He was nailed to the cross and died for our salvation. But His death was not the end because he rose from the dead. And on Easter we celebrate his resurrection.

Easter is a beautiful celebration of life, and I am eternally grateful for the sacrifice that was made for me. 

This year, I will be attending Easter service at Traders Point Christian Church, and I welcome all of you to attend and celebrate the Risen Lord with me.

Coconut Macaroon Easter Egg Nests
Yield: Makes about 24 nests
Approximate 160 calories for 2 nests

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup (from 5 large) egg whites
  • 10 ounces sweetened coconut flakes (I used Baker's)
  • 6 Tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • 48 mini egg-shaped candies (I chose M&Ms peanut butter eggs)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. In a heavy saucepan combine egg whites, coconut flakes, and sugar and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until all the ingredients combine together, about 12 minutes. The mixture will be sticky and moist.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in the almond and vanilla extracts. Set aside and let it cool 10 minutes.
  4. Spray a nonstick mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
  5. Drop heaping tablespoons of coconut mixture into tin and lightly press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the tin to make "nests.”
  6. Bake 22 to 25 minutes, or until golden.
  7. Let the nests cool 10 minutes in the pan, then carefully remove from the tin.
  8. Top each nest with two mini eggs.
Recipe adapted from SkinnyTaste.com







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover