Reason #79056 why I love crockpots -- you can use them to make super moist desserts! I cooked this entire pineapple upside down cake in the crockpot. That's right. There was no oven required.
You may be wondering "why on Earth would I bake a cake in the crockpot when I could just bake it in the oven?" Well, when you use a crockpot you don't have to worry about using your oven so you can cook other things in it. It's also safe to leave your home with the crockpot on, whereas it's not so safe to leave with your oven on.
So try this pineapple upside down cake and get hooked on crockpot desserts!
Crockpot Pineapple Upside down cake
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 (20 ounce can) pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
- 10 maraschino cherries without stems, drained
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- Spray 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In small bowl, mix brown sugar and melted butter; spread evenly in bottom of slow cooker.
- Arrange pineapple slices on brown sugar mixture, cutting as needed to fit in one layer. Place cherry in center of each slice and around slices, as needed.
- Add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to measure 1 cup. Make cake batter as directed on box, substituting pineapple juice mixture for the water. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
- Cook on High heat
- 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Turn off slow cooker; uncover. Remove ceramic base from cooker to cooling rack. Cool 15 minutes.