I didn’t realize it until this year, but candy corn is a very divisive treat. People either love it or they hate it.
Regardless, it’s an iconic Halloween candy. So when I saw these candy corn Rice Krispies treats on the cereal box, I new I had to try them out! They’re so cute and festive, and everyone loves Rice Krispies treats!
I made these for my church life group this week and the girls loved them!
Candy Corn Rice Krispies Treats
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 9 cups Rice Krispies or any other puffed rice cereal, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Yellow and red food coloring
- Lightly coat a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add 4 cups miniature marshmallows and 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir until melted.
- Stir in 3 cups crisp Rice Krispies cereal and when it’s completely combined transfer to pan.
- Use wax paper to firmly press mixture into an even layer.
- Rinse saucepan.
- Repeat step 1 twice: To second batch, add orange zest and yellow and red food coloring to tint marshmallow mixture orange before adding cereal, then press into pan on top of the first layer. (Even though you’re adding orange zest, the mixture won’t be “orange enough” for the effect you’re looking for which is why you have to also add food coloring.)
- Rinse saucepan again.
- To third batch, add lemon zest and enough yellow food coloring to tint marshmallow mixture yellow before adding cereal. Press third batch into pan.
- Let Rice Krispies set 2 hours (or overnight).
- Run a dull knife around edges of pan and invert loaf onto a cutting board.
- With a serrated knife, cut loaf into 10 slices.
- Cut each slice into triangles with the white layer being the smallest point at the bottom and the yellow layer being on top so that it looks like a candy corn.