Hot dogs are the epitome of a classic, all-American meal! Most people don’t go to a baseball game without eating one, and hot dogs are the stars of backyard barbecues.
But I have to be completely honest with you all – I’m not the biggest hot dog fan. I know, shame on me! It’s not that I don’t like them. If we’re being honest, there probably isn’t a food I dislike (Oops, double negative! I hope my English teacher isn’t reading this!)
It’s just that most of the time I would prefer something else. So when I was asked to do a segment for National Hot Dog Day, it was a little bit of a challenge because I wanted to come up with something that I would actually choose to eat!
As I was thinking about it, for some reason I couldn’t get jalapeño poppers off of my mind. I have no idea why considering I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a jalapeño popper. Maybe it’s because I planted jalapeños in my garden for the first time this year. Who knows! But anyway, it was at that moment that I knew I wanted to use that as the foundation for my hot dog treat.
What I ended up making was a cross between a cross between jalapeño poppers and pigs in a blanket. And just like everything I make, it is super easy!
You start by making a mixture with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and a little cumin and garlic powder. I use Challenge cream cheese because it’s definitely creamier than all other cream cheeses and I know there are no hormones in the product.
Then you just open up a can of refrigerated crescent rolls (probably the trickiest part of the recipe), spread the cream cheese mixture on top, and layer on sliced jalapeños. I generally use about half a jalapeño per crescent roll, but you can add more or less depending on your taste preferences. Stick half a hot dog on top of that, roll it up, and pop it in the oven! If you’re feeling really bold, you can serve it with jalapeño mustard, recently I even saw jalapeño ketchup!
Jalapeño Popper Hot Dogs
Servings: 12 jalapeño popper hot dogs
- 8 ounces Challenge cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) package crescent roll dough
- 4 jalapeños, sliced
- 4 hot dogs, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, cumin, and garlic powder in bowl
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray
- Remove crescent roll dough from packaging and lay out the 8 dough triangles on the baking sheet
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture on each crescent roll.
- Layer jalapeño slices on cream cheese mixture
- Stick hot dog on top and roll up crescent roll dough
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve hot with ketchup and mustard