Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Granola Fruit Pizza


I'm a big proponent of getting kids in the kitchen at an early age. I think it cuts down on picky eating, and also, it gives them a better appreciation of food. I was thinking about when the last time I even cooked for a child was, and I don't think it's been since when I was in high school when I used to babysit a family of five kids that lived down the street from me.

The extent of the cooking I did for them wasn't even close to "gourmet." All they wanted to eat was hot dogs and sauerkraut (yes, they were German). I started cutting their hot dogs to look like octopus, and they thought it was the coolest thing ever.

But I feel like today's era of children would roll their eyes at my octopus hot dogs. They grew up with Pinterest moms, and they expect their food to be exciting. That's why I wanted to come up with a dish that was not only easy to make, but also colorful and pretty too.



I think I really nailed it with this granola fruit pizza.

The crust requires just a few ingredients, and you don't need to bake it. The ingredient measurements don't need to be extremely precise, so your kids can get practice measuring and patting the crust down into the cake pan.

As you can see, I made a rainbow design with fruit on the pizza, but you can use anything to decorate it. I suggest setting out a variety of ingredients in bowls (like chocolate chips, shredded coconut, sprinkles, nuts, fruit) and let the kids express their creativity by deciding what to put on top.

I served this Granola Fruit Pizza for my FOX59 segment on National Kids Take Over the Kitchen Day. I also shared two other kid-friendly treats: Banana Sushi and Apple Slice Doughnuts.


The Banana Sushi is just a banana wrapped in a tortilla that's covered with peanut butter. Slice it up so it looks like sushi. I drizzled melted peanut butter and sprinkled Fruity Pebbles on top for decoration.


Apple Slice Doughnuts start with apples sliced about 1-inch thick on their side. Just cut right through the core. Then use a melon baller to scoop out the center so it looks like a doughnut. Cover each apple slice with either cream cheese, nut butter, or chocolate then decorate with sprinkles or chocolate chips so they look like doughnuts!



Granola Fruit Pizza
Yield: Makes about 8 servings
Ingredients
  • 3 cups granola
  • 2/3 cups peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 cup fruit, other toppings
Directions
  1. Combine granola, peanut butter, honey, cinnamon, and vanilla
  2. Line 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper
  3. Dump granola mixture into pan and spread until top is even
  4. Refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze for 20 minutes
  5. Remove granola pizza crust from cake pan and move to plate
  6. Spread Greek yogurt evenly onto granola pizza
  7. Top with fruit, chocolate, nuts, shredded coconut, or whatever you please
Recipe adapted from Tip Buzz





No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover